Re: SUV

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SUV
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:21:19 -0600
> ... An SUV is just another tool, that when properly used, achieves the
desired
> results ...

Well put, WST. Fortunately, no one is forcing me to own or drive an SUV. Too
high of a percentage of SUVs on the road have never done anything that
wouldn't have been done better by a minivan.
Since I have no reason to drive off-road, front-wheel drive, low roll
center, clutch, and handbrake are my formula for a good winter car. In
twenty-odd years of driving mostly in the Chicago area, I have yet to need a
4x4 to pull me anywhere. On the other hand I have helped a couple of them
out of ditches. 4x4 means you will probably get there eventually, but it
does not mean that it is safe to drive it very fast in adverse conditions. I
get annoyed by the SUV assumption that if this is the fastest they can be
safely driven in snow, then they should make sure that no one else drives
any faster by blocking as many lanes as possible. Besides, they just aren't
nearly so entertaining to watch as a 5-liter Mustang in the snow ;-)
I always liked the credo of Tom Bodett who grew up in Indiana and moved to
Alaska:
"Having four wheel drive means that when you get stuck, no one is going to
happen by to help you out."
David Lieb
RWA Midgets
owning trucks is what friends are for