Clutch advice please?

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch advice please?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:53:01 -0500
Brent:

I had a similar sound a few months ago.  Fortunately just as I got to my
garage door.

I managed to get the car (my MGB) in the garage & removed the throwout arm
rubber bellows.  I figured that would allow me to inspect the interior to
some small degree.  I didn't have to do much inspecting.  A piece of clutch
disc about 1" x 3/4" was right there.  When the clutch came apart, 25% of
the pressure plate side of the disc had broken off.

This was a Borg & Beck h.d. unit with 3,000 street miles & only 2 races on
it.  Still have no idea why it happened.

Currently using the old standard unit that has about 30,000 miles and 6
races on it until I pull the engine again next month.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB - too low to drive in Monday's blizzard here in CT - 3" ground
clearance in 6" of snow on the "plowed" roads doesn't work.
'59 Turner - Spridget power, currently undergoing chassis & engine rebuild
in prep for VSCCA Spring Sprints