Re: Front Fender to Body Shell Gap

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Front Fender to Body Shell Gap
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:07:45 -0400
Cc: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Frank,

Well, mine has gone too far as the water now gets into the footwell on the
passenger side. When I had the body refinished a couple of years ago, I was
going to replace the fenders but when we removed the kick panel, the rot
was quite extensive behind it so we just sprayed a liberal amount of rust
preventative (Fluid Film) in this area and buttoned it up again. The car
looks great from the outside but I was hoping that someone knew of a wide
rubber extruded moulding that would suit this area. I am also thinking of
using this canned foam insulation to see if it would seal it sufficiently.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Bob

At 09:53 PM 3/24/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Bob Hamilton wrote:
>>Hi,
>>This might have been discussed before and I apologize for bringing the
>>subject up again, but can someone tell me what they use to prevent the
>>crap & crud being  splashed up from the front wheel getting in between
>>the fender and foot well area.
>
>A design flaw overlooked when they stopped the Bugeye front end.
>I remove the fenders, coat them with roofing tar as well as with the inner
>panel and top of the rocker. A good blast of water every other car wash
>washes the crud out of the crack at the fender/rocker.
>So far, no more rusted out fenders.
>

>--
>Frank Clarici
>Toms River, NJ
>2 Sprites, 2 Midgets
>A car doesn't just take us places, it's a place all by itself.
>http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
Home Page: www.accesswave.ca/~hamilton
Sunbeam Talbots - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon, 1953-1954
Sunbeam Talbot Web Page: www.sunbeamtalbot.info
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca or robertach@ca.inter.net