Re: Cleaning mag wheels

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning mag wheels
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 14:37:24 -0400 FILETIME=[44A4FD50:01C317EC]
Street 'mag' wheels are mostly/all aluminum, so if clean is the goal and you
don't mind the matt/spun alum finish, then get some automotive alum.
prefinishing cleaner (weak hydrocloric? acid solution). Sprayed on using a
fairly fine mist it will literally foam them clean in a few seconds, then
just rinse them off. The first time, you may have to do it twice, but if
done with every wash then one cleaning suffices. best to do them last since
many car washing chemicals can streak them once super clean.

I can't find the DuPont chemical I use on their website, so Not sure they
still off it. Here's one that sounds like the equivalent:
http://www.nauticalease.com/products/aluminum.htm

Even if you want to polish them to a mirror finish I recommend doing this
first. My fave polish is Metal Gleam. A good coating protects well enough to
ride on the beach without without ruining my cycle's alloy rims, etc..

For the more ecologically sensitive, I found this, but haven't tried it:
http://www.tech-sales.com/aluminum_cleaner.html so Caveat Emptor, though I
imagine it works as advertised since it's for food processing plants. I
recently used a stainless steel cleaner that a processing machine
manufacturer uses and it cleaned/spit-shined polished SS in a spray or wipe
on-wipe off application.

GM