Re: Autox Report

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Autox Report
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:29:43 -0500
> Well If I am gonna do this for "real" I am gonna hafta to get some
 >different tires, problem then is those tires ain't so great for the road.
 >I guess that means a spare set of wheels, and a triler to get them to the
 >course, and a tow vehicle, which I have, but then I need a trailer for
 >the Midget and.......

No no no, Larry, if you are going to do this "for real", you have to work
the logical progression:
1. go to a few autocrosses so that you can learn humility (might take quite
a few for some of us ;)
2. attend a good autocross school so that you can break some of the bad
habits and misconceptions before it is too late.
3. start improving the hardware, now that you MIGHT not be the limiting
factor anymore.

I am at step 1 still myself...
Trish beat me at the last Miata club autocross, but then she was driving my
2002 GTI and I was driving my 1972 Midget. I guess she had 4x my hp as well
as 4x my tire contact area, so I wasn't doing too bad to be only .7s behind
her on a course that had an ftd of 1:27.714. Of course that ftd went to an
older Toyota MR2 who managed to carry his race tires in his car... second
fastest was a 1993 twin turbo RX7. Since it is a Miata club event, there are
6 classes of Miatas and then the X class for everything else including the
above as well as supercharged Mustang 5-liters, Cobras with Viper engines, M
Roadsters, etc. At least I was faster than the Subaru WRX that had never
seen an autox course before!
Next spring, Trish and I are planning to move up to step 2 and attend the
Evolution autox school.
I hope to have finished ripping the wire wheels off by then so that I can
look at autox tires for the Midget.
David Lieb