Autox Report

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Autox Report
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:37:05 -0400
Well I went to an SCCA autox yesterday and got sunburned and beat ;-)

Got there about 8ish after driving down in the rain. Got checked and
found out if you drive you have to work. Not a problem. They ran 4
heats. I worked the first one and drove the 3rd. I was the only MG in
the running. Our fearless leader was there as was George (forget the
last name) and another club member (whom I always forget your name -
SORRY I am very bad with names, remember faces though ;-)

The work part is to stand on the outside of the course and keep an eye
out for drivers hitting cones, going off course etc. Not too bad and I
got to watch the style of other drivers. The first heat took about an
hour, then I got to just watch the second heat. That one had a Mini,
not a BMW Mini, a real Mini. He had a big wind up key on the back of
the car. It was cute. He was running a Series A 948 engine and was in a
different class than I. I am not sure how he did, but he was beating
the Firebirds and Corvettes.

I was classified in FSP, witch is Fast Street Prepared. I am there
because y car is not stock. I have a Weber and headers. Actually my
5-speed should put me in another class (I think). BUt I was totally
outclassed by a 1976 BMW 2002 and a 1978 VW Scirocco running in the
same class. The Sirocco is preped for autox. Lowered, wide bald race
tires that stick out of the body, 2 seats and nothing else in the
interior. The Beemer was well preped as well. The Scirocco had at least
2 different drivers as did the BMW. When I left after the 3rd heat, I
was firmly in fifth. I was running in the low to mid 34 second range
and the VW was running just about 28.5 secs a lap. We had 5 runs, which
is pretty cool as normally we only would get 3, maybe 4. I don't care
that I got beat, I had a blast!!!! This stuff is serious FUN!!!!!

I figure my biggest problem is my tires, they are fine for the road and
fine for rain and stuff, but they lack a bit in the Autox. Ya see the
way you make time in on an autox course is to NOT spin the tires, if
you are spinning you are not accelerating or cornering at the limit.
You are sliding!! If you are sliding, you are loosing time, not going
as fast as you can. I was spinning the tires, breaking them loose
accelerating (who woulda thought I could spin the tires accelerating
;-), sliding and understeering. Well If I am gonna do this for "real" I
am gonna hafta to get some different tires, problem then is those tires
ain't so great for the road. I guess that means a spare set of wheels,
and a triler to get them to the course, and a tow vehicle, which I
have, but then I need a trailer for the Midget and.......

Well I did beat most of the 'Vettes, and nearly all the
Firebird/Camaros and stuff (and the Mini). So it wasn't so bad. I am
looking forward to next month when it is a Club event and I can go
against some other MG's (even if they are all B's).

BTW those Miata are tough cookies in this stuff as are the Lancer EVO's
and WRX Subaru's. Guy next to me in my heat had a Miata Turbo, I was
running with him in times and he was competing against street preped
'Vettes.

All in all I look forward to next month.

See ya there!!!

Larry
--

Larry Macy