Re: 1500 expansion tank relocation

To: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 expansion tank relocation
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:47:59 -0500
> I was able to ... then take the little beast for a short run around the
back yard.

> Dumb question time, but am I correct in assuming that you can't
> statically time a Lucas Electronic ignition?

If you have already run it around the yard, why in tarnation would you want
to statically time it? Should be able to use the light.
I would think that you could do so by disconnecting the high-tension lead
from the dizzy to the coil (to avoid accidentally starting the car while
hands are in the wrong place) and monitoring the coil leads with a clip-on
light or voltmeter. The dizzy shouldn't really care about the fact that the
rpms are negligible. I would avoid taking too long at this because some of
the electronic igintion systems are averse to being on and not really
running. Yes, the ignition would need to be on. Remember that the spark
occurs as the "points" open, not when they close, so it would be a matter of
observing when the light goes out rather than when it comes on.

David Lieb
1972 RWA Midget
2002 GTI for Trish to beat me at autocross with