RE: '69 Lotus Elan Convertible

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: '69 Lotus Elan Convertible
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:25:51 -0700
For desirability and parts supply, Webbers are best. Dellorto parts are hard
to come by.

Strombergs need more attention than either Webbers or Dellortos, give good
power, and are actually not that bad - except myth has it they are evil, and
nobody wants them! Stromberg Twin Cam heads are different from Weber heads.

The main problem with Strombergs was icing in certain low
temperature/humidity conditions... and the diaphragm should be changed every
year. I think originally it was suggested every 12,000 miles. No biggy.
Leaks and such can be a big problem until rectified.

By the way- I think the Big Valve Twin Cam came out in October 1970, so that
would not be an original engine in that "for sale" car.

Jacques Le Clainche in San Diego
http://www.leclainche.com/

Daniel wrote:
Make sure the head is for Webers/Dellortos and not Strombergs.