73 midget whines

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 73 midget whines
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:23:24 -0800
Hi all, I am no type of mechanic :(  Of course your wondering what are you
doing with that car.  Anyway when trying to start the car it sounds like the
engine almost catches and then the starter just kind of kicks out and spins
making a high pitched whine.  At least that's what it sounds like to me.

Is the starter disengaging?  Is there something else that would account for
this.  If it is the starter is it replacement time?  If it is replacement
time should I go with a stock replacement (79$) or one of the newer higher
tech starters (249$) that are now available?

The car does eventually start but only after several of these attempts.  It
also seams as it is occurring more than it used to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob