Re: 73 midget whines

To: <rscott213@comcast.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 73 midget whines
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 05:12:20 -0800
Mine does the exact same thing. Perfectly normal, AFAIK. What's
happening is that when the engine just catches, the bendix is flying
back out of engagement with the flywheel. The whine is just the starter
motor turning. Particularly annoing when you only get a "putt putt" on
startup, then have to wait for the starter motor to stop spinning before
attempting to start again.

I suspect, but do not know for sure, that the modern gear reduction
starters do not do this.

Probably time for a tune-up too.

HTH

-=Chris