Re: No LBC - Removing paint from bakelite?

To: gjbranch@comcast.net, spritenut@exit109.com, kmmccarley@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: No LBC - Removing paint from bakelite?
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 05:34:51 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
gjbranch@comcast.net writes:

> The "aircraft remover", and I am assuming that Frank is talking about paint
> remover....I have used is nothing more than methylene chloride, same stuff as
> Zip Strip.  It destroys plastic...I might have the old lenses from my
> glasses to
> prove it....but I don't know about bakelite.  As Frank says, try a spot...
>
> What about brake fluid?  Seems to strip the paint everytime I've spilled it
> on
> the floor!
>
> Oh, and by the way, don't EVER, EVER get sucked into stripping an entire
> airplane.

Lye is also a known paint remover, but you have to be very careful to follow
the safety advice, llike rubber gloves, goggles, etc.  The stuff is extremo
corrosive!  Again, try a spot first.  I'm not sure whether it is reactive with
plastic or not.  I have used it on wood surfaces with success.

--DAvid C.