Re: Clutch Question

To: "Mike MacLean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@exit109.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Question
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:03:03 -0000
Mike,
Frank is right about trying a nut with the pushroad, but this will only
compensate for wear in the clutch plate, activating pivot points or if the
clutch release fork is bent (which is fairly common). The effect of any of
these is that the slave cylinder piston moves down the bore towards the open
end of the cylinder, so there is less effective travel when you operate the
pedal. In the worst cases the slave piston reaches the circlip at the end of
the bore before the clutch has fully disengaged.  Just be careful about
lengthening the pushrod too much which can result in the clutch not being
allowed to fully engage, and overthrow of the release bearing, with clutch
damage.

None of the above should be confused with master cylinder or hydraulic
problems.  Assuming no air in the system, then the distance that the slave
piston moves through depends solely on the amount of fluid pumped by the
master cylinder, and the relative diameters of master and slave cylinder.
Far and away the commonest fault is air in the system, and there are a
variety of well-tried "tricks" to effectively bleed the clutch system, none
being 100% easy!
Guy