Re: Speaking of steering racks...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speaking of steering racks...
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:34:58 EST
In a message dated 3/1/2004 6:24:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
spridget63@comcast.net writes:
Are they always necessary and how can I determine placement?
Also what is their purpose?
If you take a close look at the steering column, it is not at a 90 degree
angle with the dashboard, or front wheels. So I "think" the shim is there line
up
the rack and pinion. I also "think" (just not in front of the car) that the
shim is always on the bracket on the same side as the steering column. I
converted to Right Hand Drive and had to move the shim to the other side. That
much
I am sure of.

David Oliner