Re: Speaking of steering racks...

To: spridget63@comcast.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speaking of steering racks...
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:41:14 EST
spridget63@comcast.net writes:

> Anyone know the proper way of shimming the rack?  Mine was removed (not
> by me) and I'm not sure if it had any shims or where they might have
> gone.  Are they always necessary and how can I determine placement?
> Also what is their purpose?  There are piviot point at both inner and
> outer tie rods so why the shims? This is on the '74. TIA

Yes Dan--I went through that about a year ago. Shim with the rack not the
car.  The later model rack (which I believe your '74 has) has the shim on the
driver's side, while the beefier old-style rack has the shim on the passenger
side.  The shim offsets the rack just enough for the Steering column and the
pinion to line up.  Also, when you are replacing the steering wheel, if you
have
it off, watch to get the plastic turn signal operating ring to line up. There
are tabs on it that fit into slots in the steering wheel.  If they are not
lined up the steering will be super tight and will bind.  Adk me how I know.
8^)

--David C.