Thanks for the advice on garage floors

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks for the advice on garage floors
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:10:52 +0100
Hello all!

I would just like to thank everyone for the advice on what kind of
protective flooring to put in my new garage.  I ended up going with the
EpoxyShield solution from Rustoleum.  $100 for two boxes of the stuff
covered the whole garage.  Not bad, considering the bulletproof quartz black
and white tiles I saw were $16 a square foot!

I was back in the US last weekend to finish up the paperwork and take
possession of the house.  Since I won't actually be living there for at
least the next couple of months, I figured then was as good a time as any to
put the coating on.  Especially since it says no vehicle traffic for at
least 7 days while it cures.   The actual application of the stuff wasn't
too bad.  The hard part was the cleaning of the concrete prior to painting.
Just like painting a car, the hard part is in the prep!  What we thought was
lighter colored concrete ended up being layers of paint, spackling, putty,
and various other interior substances.  The builders obviously used the area
for their staging and paint gun clean/test area.   It took about 4 hours of
scrubbing and acid work to get the concrete bare and clean.  We waited until
the next morning to start the painting, in order to let the excess water
evaporate off.  The stuff looks great, and it was put on all of the concrete
surfaces in the garage.

I can't wait to see it when I get back, and actually get some LBCs on it and
see how the epoxy handles the oil and other fluid leaks!<grin>  These aren't
so much cars as they are fun and fast oil filters!!!   Thanks again for
everyone's help and advice.

Greg Gowins

'69 Sprite (Bay Area, Cali)

'72 Me (London, UK)