Re: FW: Engine Question

To: Jacques Le Clainche <hobbycars@cox.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Engine Question
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:54:44 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jacques Le Clainche wrote:

> Reliant did have a 748 cc in a three wheeler in the mid-seventies, but that
> was called the Ant. I am pretty sure there were other models fitted with the
> 748, but none were called Sprite.

After some research and help from a friend, I came up with this.

"FAMOUS ANCESTORS

With the introduction of the Sprite, Austins are opening a new era in the
sports car field, as not since 1938 has a small sports car been made by the
Company. These early sports cars, ranging from the early "Ulsters" to the
"Nippys" were all "off-shoots" of the 750 c.c. racers, which had so many
outstanding successes, holding many international and speed records and
attaining speeds in excess of 100 m.p.h.

Some of the original design points used on these pre-war Austin sports cars
are used in a much more advanced and improved form on the present day
Sprite. An example is the rear suspension which employs quarter-elliptic
leaf springs and trailing arms."

But somewhere, at some time, the name Sprite was used in some car other
than the AH Sprite. I do not know what brand it was. And it predates the
AH Sprite. I am almost positive it was an English car.