Re: Rebuilt motor

To: "Brad Fornal" <toyman@digitex.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilt motor
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:20:55 +0100
Cc: "mg" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Brad,
I would be surprised (but often am) if there would be enough oil pulled in
from the timing cover to cause noticable smoking, even with a ruptured PCV
valve.  The UK spec ones didn't use a PCV valve, just a direct pipe
connection to the carbs and they are not in the habit of sucking all the oil
out of the sump by this means!

I had similar problems on my part rebuilt engine a few years back.  Turned
out to be a combination of things.
First a worn rocker shaft, allowing too much oil leakage from the rocker
bushes and  into the valve cover area. Changed that and it was a good deal
better, but...
Secondly, my engine was pulling too much oil down the exhaust valve stems.
I know it shouldn't do that, but the eventual cure after much experimenting,
was to add those little oil control seals to the exhaust valve stems as well
as the inlets.

Guy