Re: Rebuilt motor

Subject: Re: Rebuilt motor
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:34:24 -0500
Cc: mg <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Guy Weller wrote:

> The UK spec ones didn't use a PCV valve, just a direct pipe
> connection to the carbs and they are not in the habit of sucking all the oil
> out of the sump by this means!

I know that strong manifold vacuum "could" do possibly do this. How strong it
would need to be is something I don't know.
I have another PCV valve that I had put on the old worn out motor, and it had
the ruptured diaphragm, and it smoked something fierce. Once it was blocked, it
didn't smoke anymore. I finally put in a standard PCV valve, with a few nuts in
the hose to "graduate" the orifice, and it smoked a little, but not near what it
did with a bad diaphragm.

> I had similar problems on my part rebuilt engine a few years back.  Turned
> out to be a combination of things.
> First a worn rocker shaft, allowing too much oil leakage from the rocker
> bushes and  into the valve cover area. Changed that and it was a good deal
> better, but...

How does one determine what is "too worn" as I have a large selection of used
rocker shafts on the shelf.

> Secondly, my engine was pulling too much oil down the exhaust valve stems.
> I know it shouldn't do that, but the eventual cure after much experimenting,
> was to add those little oil control seals to the exhaust valve stems as well
> as the inlets.

I have some stem seals, so perhaps I may pull the head after I try the diaphragm
and rocker shaft first.
Thank you for the suggestions sir.

Brad