Re: Rebuilt motor

To: "Brad Fornal" <toyman@digitex.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilt motor
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:39:57 +0100
Cc: "mg" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Brad,
I guess there are tollerances quoted somewhere for rocker shaft wear.  On
mine the shaft had distinct wear ridges, and the case hardening was breaking
down in high pressure areas. If you start the car with the rocker cover off
you can see just how much oil is leaking out from the rocker bushes. I got
another shaft from the local scrap yard which looked a lot better and had
very little wear. It certainly slowed down the excessive flow of oil.

In theory, the exhaust valve stems should not suck oil down them as when the
valve is in the open position, the piston is rising to dispell exhaust
gasses.  Opposite of the  inlet valves which suck - if you get my drift.
However, it may have something to do with valve overlap.  On mine oil was
certainly leaking down the exhaust valve stems and producing lots of blue
smoke.  Oil seals stopped it.  But don't put oil seals on the exhaust valve
stems if this is not the problem - they do need some oil.  If putting seals
on makes no difference, then take them off again.

AND, you do not need to remove the head to do this. Use the string in the
combustion chamber trick .  Easy to do and much quicker!

Quick way to check if the crankcase breather system is causing the smoke is
to disconnect it at the manifold.  put a bung in the manifold orifice and go
for a drive.  It will probably start to leak oil out of the crankshaft
"seals" but if it stops blowing out oil smoke then you have found your
problem.

Guy