steering column

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: steering column
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 00:02:49 +0100
I was given a Mountney steering wheel today as a present.  I followed
the instructions - undo the centre bolt, pull the hub off, and put the
boss onto the splines.

Naturally this was more fun than I thought.  ;)  Got the bolt off with
my trusty locking pliers (one of the most useful tools in my box).  I
could not get that wheel to move a jot, and that includes whacking it
from behind with a mallet.

I didn't bother undoing the six bolts as it looks like they just hold
the wheel to the hub.  I got some movement of the column towards me, as
I could see the splines moving out.  I gave up at that point.

Are there two sets of splines on the column - one on the hub side of the
lock clip, and one in front of the lock clip?  I'm a bit confused as I
can see about 1cm of spline in front of the lock clip, and that's it.
If that's the only spline, then my boss won't attach as it has about 1cm
of clean metal before the splines start.

My worst fear is that when they welded my column to stop it collapsing,
that they welded it too short, and hence I don't have enough spline
showing for this boss to grip onto!

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to buy a puller, as I need to
get this wheel on!  My existing wheel is rusting a bit, the leather is
dry as you like, and someone has painted it so badly it's a joke!

MG Midget 1979
http://www.antgel.co.uk/midget