Re: steering column

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: steering column
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:33:28 EDT
Not sure of how a 79 wheel works but I was able to remove a stock 69 wheel a
flat bar, with two holes drilled into it and some long bolts into the threaded
holes in the hub that hold the spokes. Put a big washer between the bar and
the end of the spline, and kept switching a set of holes in the holes. Second
time around the wheel popped off.

I recall an old post about how tightened the center bolt will push the wheel
further down the spline and free in off what is keeping it stuck on.

Once you get the old wheel off, don't be surprised if that Mountey boss does
not yield a perfect fit. I recently put a mountey wheel in the 69 Midget, and
it required a lot of creative dremel work (and a bunch of clogged grinding
wheels) to get the horn contact wheel to properly seat.

But after all is said and done, the wheel is a nice diameter and looks great.

David Oliner