Re: Radiator paint

To: "Jim Rogers" <jarplanner@cox.net>, "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator paint
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 06:40:33 -0400
Cc: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
radiator paint is an unusual area of confusion.    my radiator shop and i
have  exchanged discussions on this a few times over the years.    acording
to my radiator shop the paint that they spray on is a type of paint wich
allows or promotes heat dissipation.   personally i find it a nasty coating
that they apply.    in an uncured state it remains tacky for seemingly an
eternity.    once exposed to the heat of operating temperature it cures and
hardens.     to date an actual formulation of what the heck the stuff is
still eludes me.
i usually request that they do NOT spray the stuff on my parts.      i
prefer using  regular spray paint in either gloss or semi gloss for a
radiator finish.     the rad. shop warned me that the available over the
counter spray can colors (K-mart, wally mart and similar places) are very
bad for theheat exchange process.     i asked why?   i figured black is
black and all radiators are "heat exchanger black".   i was warned that
regular paint insulates a radiator as opposed to the special coating applied
by a radiator shop.    to date i'm unable to prove or disprove that !    i
can say the stuff at the rad shop is certainly not an average spray enamel!
it is something difrent in it's formulation.    i just do not like it
staying indefinitly tacky , collecting dust over time .

chuck.
so many bugeyes...so little time....