car runs but need help -update and plea

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: car runs but need help -update and plea
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:39:26 EDT
Help!  I've done a lot of what I can think of but can't make my car run
right.  It starts and idles nicely (sounds real cammy under 1K rpm but smooths
out
fine at 1,100), but dies under a load.  It will drive around on my perfect
garage floor and drive out down the 1% grade but won't back (or drive) back up
it.  It doesn't pop or bang or violently die, it just goes vrrrmwoooorrrrrr and
dies down.  If you push in the clutch it's likely to return to idle.  It just
acts like it lacks the necessary (12) horsepower to do the job.  Here are some
facts:

1500 motor, weber downdraft, fuel regulator, crane 700, ATP fast street cam,
manual choke, header, 1 3/4 exhaust.  Breather tube from valve cover into air
cleaner, in case that matters.

I have tried:

aligning the crane system.  I haven't done the hole in the dist. cap thing
b/c my dizzy seems too small for this (the cap in the illustration must be for
25 cylinder airplane or something) but I have checked it with the cap off and
if it's off it's not by much.  Seems right on to me.

Played with the timing.  It seems best around 13-15 btdc.  Will actually idle
nicer around 20 btdc but starts hard like you'd expect, etc.

Adjusted the Weber per the tech tips.

All these things seem to make slight differences but not much.  I guess I'm
wondering if my jet is too rich b/c it seems I can reduce the idle to ungodly
low speeds and still get away with closing the idle mixture screw completely
without the engine changing much, but I'd appreciate hearing the list's
thoughts
before I go bodging around in the carb.

Help a brother out?  I'm sooooooooo close to driving this (registered) car
after 2 1/2 years.  If you help me I'll send you anything left over from making
one car out of two that you want.  (heaters?  I've got two!  Want a front
fender?  trunklid? How about some really ratty seats?)

Thanks!

Mark M.