Re: RANT!- NO LBC

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RANT!- NO LBC
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:11:32 -0700
> My point is that this form of googling does not constitute valid research.

Check with the HSUS and get the statistics for cocker spaniels.  I think
that the number of unprovoked attacks will probably astound you.  They
almost always go for the face, after approaching their chosen victim with a
cheerful expression and a wagging tail.  The reason that these attacks don't
make headlines is the fact that the victim, though often horribly scarred,
seldom dies.

German shepherds have a hereditary defect that causes dogs within certain
lines to be fear biters.  This trait carries through to the many crossbreds
as well.  The origin is believed to trace back to the littermate of a dog
named Strongheart, of movie fame.  He was an incredible dog that did much to
increase the popularity of the breed.  His brother, while just as handsome,
would never have been allowed to reproduce in Germany, as they require
breeding stock to pass stringent tests.

Cocker spaniels became very popular in the 1930s.  Consequently they were
overbred with little regard for anything other than reproduction.  After
many years of careful breeding, REPUTABLE breeders are finally getting this
trait eradicated from their blood lines.  Unfortunately, a number of nasty,
unpredictable cockers and German shepherds are still out there.

Labs generally are a good natured family dog, but the sheer numbers of them
(a typical litter comprises more than a dozen pups) assures that some will
have less than stellar dispositions.

The problem facing the pit bull is the breed's tremendous strength and
tenacity.  Once it is committed to the attack, it WILL attack, and it will
do everything in its considerable power to win.  They are virtually
impervious to pain, and are almost impossible to stop.  I have seen one
still trying to attack after taking a full clip of 9mm rounds to its chest.
I had another one lick my face as I euthanised what was left of it after it
was run over by a train.  Their abnormal will to live is no doubt another
factor.  Most dogs require 1cc per 10 pounds of body weight for euthanasia.
Triple that for a pit.

Kate