rust repair - opinions wanted.

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: rust repair - opinions wanted.
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 00:12:30 -0700
Seal-send-time: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 00:12:30 -0700 FILETIME=[3001BDB0:01C47ABB]
Hi there...

Okay, after a thorough look at my 71 Midget, I have found that I need the
following major body work:

New trunk tray (buckled from a rear ender)
New rear valance (bondo bomber, result of same rear ender mentioned above)
New battery tray (rotted out - most sheet metal already cut out)

Couple of questions for you experts:

Should I spend the money on a battery tray from moss or vicBrit or just get a
small piece of sheet metal?

I'm in Washington state. Is there anyone who can give me some advice on how to
proceed with the welding process?  Earlier, I asked if it would be difficult
to learn to weld and do the work myself. But looking at this, I'm wondering
whether it wouldn't be cheaper just to roll the stripped body down to the
local shop and have them do the work. Is it going to cost more to buy the
welder, tools and peripherals or to have a welder do it? Any guestimates?

Thanks all!

Will
Covington, Wa.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: