Re: rust repair - opinions wanted.

To: livinginthepast3@hotmail.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rust repair - opinions wanted.
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 06:18:30 EDT
In a message dated 8/5/04 12:17:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
livinginthepast3@hotmail.com writes:

> Should I spend the money on a battery tray from moss or vicBrit or just get
> small piece of sheet metal?

Battery tray is flat and pretty straightforward as to bending up a new one,
using a bench vise and two pieces of angle iron with 2x4 braces as a metal
brake.  I made mine and made it heavier.

> I'm in Washington state. Is there anyone who can give me some advice on how
> proceed with the welding process?  Earlier, I asked if it would be difficult
> to learn to weld and do the work myself. But looking at this, I'm wondering
> whether it wouldn't be cheaper just to roll the stripped body down to the
> local shop and have them do the work. Is it going to cost more to buy the
> welder, tools and peripherals or to have a welder do it? Any guestimates?

Get an estimate from the welders as to how much it would cost for them to do
the work.  I did, then bought a Mig welder for under $500.   Since then, I
have learned to do some simulation of a weld, but good enough.  It is EASIER to
become a checkbook mechanic, but there is just something about learning more
and doing more and then when when you drive your car there is a bit more
excitement about having done it yourself.  Takes a LOT more time when you do it
too,
so work that into your equation.

--David C.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: