ELVF wrap up

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ELVF wrap up
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:09:47 -0500
Hey y'all,

Well, ELVF certainly was a tiring, rewarding fun weekend.  Thanks to the
many many that helped make it successful.

Team Thicko "sponsored" the enduro. What does "sponsor" mean? well,
apparently different things to different folks. I provided a full color 6"
sticker in a logo I'd designed to all enduro entrants, representing the name
"THE Thicko". "THE" stood for tortoise hare enduro as the race was a mixture
of some very fast, and some very slow cars. I had considered some sort of
handicapped scoring system... but when I found out the enduro was an
additionsal $75, compared to the usual $25, I figure the last thing the
entrants needed was to be dicked with on who won the race. So, we hosted the
Sat. enduro lunch, and fed 200 people. Apparently timing and scoring had a
lot of difficulty with duplicate numbered cars, and to my knowledge the
results never were posted. I would think the unique number of each car's
transponders would eliminate that difficulty, but there must be something
I'm not understanding about the process. I had a couple of folks giving me
shit about not getting results. In the event instructions, I'd pointed out
first and last place, and all in between got the same prize... a pok
sandwich.

I had Red Arse together enough to hope to give rides during lunchtime
touring. I had a nearly stock 948 in place. i'd added a factory BMC 649 cam,
a 295 casting head, and a 40 DCOE Weber, with hopes it could get out of its
own way out there. All was well the first lap of touring, but, on the 2nd
lap, entering the carousel, something happened, and the interior began
filling up with smoke and oil from a massive leak. (Dr. Nancy was really
impressed). Its really nice to come home on the flatbed during touring.

on the race car, Redrum...

I had pulled my motor Tues. before the race, and replaced the rear seal, the
clutch, and the oil pump. On track Sat. am, I had a high end miss, that
started around 6500 rpm, and making it impossible to pull to my usual 8000
rpm. We swapped out the ignition, using a dual point Mallory I had in the
box, and while my acceleration was far better due to actually having an
advance that worked, I still had the upper end miss. My feelings all along
had been it was a was a fuel related issue. Tom Kovacs of Fourintune came
over, and we inspected the fuel bowls and float levels. These carbs had the
non-adjustible floats, and some real shitty needles & seats. Tom ground them
down a tad to fill the bowls a little more, and re-adjusted the carbs. With
the miss, I was running 3:05. Sun Am, with the adjustments, the miss was
gone, and the car ran like raped ape. My goal was to break the 3:00 mark I'd
set last year. My clutch went south on the last lap of the session (yes, the
new clutch). I found out they did not record times that session, so I have
no proof of any record lap time. Arrgghhh. So, around noon, with a 2:15
feature race session looming, we decided to yank the motor, and do the
clutch. With Tutone, and PPP assisting, we snatched the motor, replaced the
clutch, and got it back in and running in about 1:45... well off our usual
:1:30 swap & drop times. For grins, PPP had some larger needles & seats
which we added. In the race, I was loosing fuel to both carbs in the hard
left handers...turns 5, 6, and 8. It was like turning off the motor for 2
seconds on each turn. Ran 3:05s again. Shit. I guess we should have
re-adjusted the carbs, but hadn't considered it. Ooops.

Elsewhere, 'Hopper and Purrassik Parker Stevenson traded place being each
other's bitch as they swapped best lap times between the 2 of them. "Fast
Eddie" Craig Bielat had some issues with the rear end of his Lotus 7, and
retired early. Uncle Jack Drews suffered some motor malady (again) and was
spectating by Sunday. I'll have to rely on the rest of youse guys to report
on your weekend, as I was pretty busy much of the weekend, and had little
time to keep track of everyone.

Special thanks to Dr. Nancy, PPP, Tutone, Scott Spanger, Bud Pazur,John (we
need a nickname for him), Fast Eddie, Parker Stevenson, Hopper, Don "thick
as a " Brick, the Johnks, BDI, and many many others with their help during
the weekend, whether it be food or car related.

Speak up youse guys.

WST

Check out the new British Cars Forum: