Re: Regarding trailers...

To: Lester Ewing <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Regarding trailers...
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:00:12 -0500 5.0; U)
Cc: "turbo! SAAB Digest" <turbo@ifound.com>, John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>, "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, John Caffrey <jdc6@lehigh.edu>
I bought a new Haulmark Thrifty Hauler last year from Gale trailers in PA,
somewhere near Pittsburgh.  I met them at Hershey last year and got the show
special, 18' x 8.5.  The deal required my pickup at the factory in PA.  I needed
to upgrade from a 1999 Wells Cargo that was 18x7, ramp door and side door.  The
WC was fine for the LBCs but not for my Mustang or my Cobra.  My trailer,
besides doing race track and rescue duty, is also another parking space for me.

If you're making a choice in width, go with 7' if your needs won't surpass it.
It was way easier to tow and maneuver that Wells Cargo than it is with the
Haulmark.  And the smaller size results in less trailer weight, which can
translate to either lower gross towing weight or increased payload capacity.

And thank you to John Caffrey about that towing height thing.  I always try to
get the rig as level as I can (I have an adjustable hitch) and now I have
another reason to do so.  I always found that an uneven trailer wreaked havoc
with handling; now I understand why.