Re: Original Intended Life Span of a Type A

To: <KrkLH@cs.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Original Intended Life Span of a Type A
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:48:04 -0000
Well "used up" maybe, but it was also expected that engines would be rebuilt
or have what nowadays is considered major surgery at regular intervals of
time.  Most engines would be de-cked at 30,000 miles and haver new valves,
pistons and bearings at around 50,000.

But they were also increadibly tollerant of wear and would continue running
for well over 100,000 miles if you didn't mind being followed by clouds of
smoke.  And I always felt that engines revved most freely and ran at their
best in the couple of thousand miles just before the engine blew up!

Of course in the UK at least many cars in the '60s were also rusting away
after 6 or 7 years so the engines could very well outlast the bodywork
anyway.

Guy