Mini Mania Pump Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mini Mania Pump Question
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:17:06 EST
Mini Mania sells a very small electric fuel pump that sits on the fender
well.  The thing is a very small metal box that looks tooo small to be an
actual
pump.  They say that it can serve as the main pump or be kept on as a back up.
 I believe that I have this same small metal device on the car that I just
bought.  It is hard for me to believe that such a small device can actually
work
to pump the fuel with enough effeciency.

I have also seen one in a Bugeye that was set up or racing.  Does anyone know
the pump that I am talking about and if you can comment. .  is this small
small little box really effecient enough to live with - or should I begin to
make
plans to replace it?  The top of it is about as big as a dollar bill folded
in half!

Another question.  Should I eventually go to a Weber set up?  I hear that
they are much more effecient but that they are also a real hassle to get them
dialed in.

The oil in an SU serves to keep the piston from moving too fast, sort of a
delay type thing.  In essence, it serves as a backhanded method of keeping the
fuel mix rich under acceleration - sort of a reverse exellerator pump?  Does
anyone run a lighter weight of oil in these carbs to improve performance.

Why do I love old English cars?  I have no idea.  I even like the way they
ALL smell.  My garage now has that familiar musty English car smell!

As far as longevity is concerned.  I have to say that I was very impressed
with a MGA that I used to own and now kick myself for selling.  That car was
well maintained and bullet proof.  Nothing went wrong with it - and I even
drove
it up to higher elevations to go snow skiing - long trips on freeways (which
beat the &^ell out of me).  But the car always kept coming back for more.

Thanks - Kirk