Re: Mini Mania Pump Question

To: <KrkLH@cs.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Mini Mania Pump Question
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:03:29 -0800 reply-type=original
There are two different weber setups for a-series spridgets, down draft, and
side draft.  I have not tried the down draft.  I understand this carb is a
progressive two barrel carb, with a primary & mechanical secondary. This
setup is more for fuel economy & simplicity, a little better low end torque,
and faster throttle response due to having a true accellerator pump, but
less high rpm potential than the SU's being replaced.  Really, the down
draft doesn't need any calibration, and performs adequately out of the box.
The side draft DCOE option is more performance oriented.  There are two
different DCOE sizes used on A-series engines, either a 40 or 45mm.  For all
out racing & high RPM use, the 45 is the better choice, but will result in a
loss of low end torque due to poor airflow speed at low rpm, and has a
reputation for a throttle tip-in flat spot down low.  The DCOE 40 only gives
up alittle top end hp to the 45, but it resolves the issue of the flat spot
at low rpm.  Ordered new, they will come pretty well calibrated out of the
box for a stock to mild 1275.  I have never found any need to modify my DCOE
40 from the way it came, and it has performed flawlessly for over 10 years.
Both of the side draft models are more thirsty than SU's, but there is a
large gain in hp that far outweighs the loss in fuel economy.  I am
averaging 20 mpg city/ 30 hwy with a 1275, mild engine mods, header & DCOE
40.