RE: What Am I Missing?

To: "'Jay Fishbein'" <type79@ix.netcom.com>, "'Spridget List'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: What Am I Missing?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:01:58 -0600
Same guy has  the "Spritely Years" by John Spinzel on auction, and signed by
John. I mentioned it to John, and he laughed and said he sure isn't seeing
any of the profits. He also said they're going for upwards of $500k in the
UK.

Here's where I begin to have a problem. Its one thing to have some
multi-million dollar athlete of today sign something, and turn it for
profit. However, the bulk of yesteryear's motorsport's figures never got
rich from their efforts.n\They're usually are quite willing to autograph
things for today's enthusiast. It's a shame if people start to try and turn
that into some profitable venture... at least without cutting the famous
motorsports people in on the deal.

For instance... Roger Menadue. Do you know what his pension was from the
Donald Healey Motor Co? I think I remember him saying it was $4 or $6 a
month. A friggin' month! Roger lived a simple life, and resided in a trailer
on the property where his daughter lived in a cottage in Cornwall. Their
drinking water came from a stream, and he washed clothes in rainwater in an
elaborate system he devised to collect it.

So, as the amount of motorsports greats dwindles with each passing year, the
value of collectibles will continue to go up... I just wish the vultures
would have cut the signees in on the deal.