Re: Painting equipment

To: spritenut@exit109.com, cooper6@swbell.net
Subject: Re: Painting equipment
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:03:11 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Help!

I shoot custom motorcycles for a part time income.  I have a booth and all
the guns (SATA, etc) plus Iwata air brushes, pin striping brushes and equipment.

BUT - I only shoot base coat clear coat jobs and I use House of Kolor /
Valspar products.  When doing multiple layers and flames you have to get
familiar
with inner coat clears (SG100) and final clears UC35 and all of the processes
involved with a custom final finish.

I plan to shoot my Bugeye Olde English White, by myself, one stage job.  I'll
be using a SATA 1.4.

I was not aware that you could sand out dust from a single stage paint job
without getting blend marks.  This is great news to me.  Again, I am totally a
dunce when it comes to single stage painting!

What grit paper do you use - or "grits" when you are doing this and how hard
is it to blend the coats together (when getting rid of the small dust)?  Of
course with a clear coat - as you said, there is a lot of forgiveness when
dealing with small dust particles that get in the way.  I have always thought
that
with a single stage job, you were pretty much stuck with what gets into the
paint.

Thanks for any further info that you can provide!

Kirk Hargreaves
Vacaville CA
'59 Bugeye currently with a terrible yellow paint job.