Weber VS SU Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Weber VS SU Question
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:10:47 EST
I have a nice running 1275 in a '59 Bugeye but am tempted to buy a Weber
sidedraft for the possibility of extra performance.  I guess that the carb I
would
end up with might be one of the newer ones that are now made in Japan (which
I hear are pretty good carbs).

At any level, is anyone aware of actual performance increases with the
Webers, say on a dyno?    It would be interesting to know the specifics in
terms of
what you are adding to the car.  It makes sense that having an excellerator
pump would add to the performance of the intake system, or is this the main
factor as to why the Weber might perform better than the typical SU set up?

Also - I hear that the Weber side draft can be a pain to set up?

I keep mentioning "side draft" - am I off base. .  is the top draft the one I
should be seeking, or?  I mainly see the side drafts as an application for my
car.

Regarding set up - do they come set up from the factory - or is the set up
process something that has to be done A - Z, sort of like buying a guitar with
all the strings hanging floppy on the fret board ready for the buyer to do a
complete adjustment to all the parts?

Any help is truly appreciated!

Kirk Hargreaves

PS
I could not help but notice at the Vintage Races in Sonoma last year that the
Type E  Jag that swept a field of V8 Cobras was running three Webers.  That
car really screamed.  It was a blast watching it take first place over all of
the V8's.  The "Cat" was hard to catch in the tight corners of the Infineon
Raceway and held it's own on the straights.  I love British cars!