RE: Weber VS SU Question

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Weber VS SU Question
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:07:14 -0800
I have had both SUs and Webbers (DCOEs and DGV) on various cars over twenty
years, never had a problem - except for the hesitation on the DGV equipped
motor I could never quite cure, and the SUs on one of my Spridgets in
England always seemed to go out of whack - but now I think I know better...
it was not the carbs going out of whack, but far more likely the tuning of
the engine- points gap, valve lash, etc! Engine/distributor/etc were tired!

I have "Vizardised" SUs on my racing Bugeye, and they work very well
indeed... full race engine too. No burned pistons, no overheating in 10
weekends of racing from 1999 to 2001... That being said, I cannot help
thinking that I would rather have Webber DCOE. May not work better, even
though many say they are better at high revs for "souped up" engines - I
just love Webber sidedraft carbs!  I have two Webber 40 DCOEs on my Seven,
and I love the look and the sound of them. They have not needed any
adjustment in over 1200 miles on a fairly "tweaked" engine (152 bhp at 7200
rpm).

I am really sorry to hear about the trouble Jim had with his race engine. He
has done everything I could possibly have thought about. Still, I also think
it must be some kind of carb problem. I wonder if he would care to try a 45
DCOE with suitable jetting?

JLC in San Diego, still thinking or drivetrain possibilites for his Bugeye
project!

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.