Re: (anti) sway bars

To: David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>,Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: (anti) sway bars
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:41:43 GMT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Works best for what application???

For shear handling at highway speeds I
certainly found this to be so. However, for
low speed work (town & country), the 3/4"
bar is overkill and makes for an un-
necessarily heavy feel (and wheel) at lower
speeds.

As an example, let me take this to an admittedly obvious extreme.

Were I driving in NYC
traffic, I'd prefer no front bar at all so as
to have as much of the originally designed
in oversteer as was instantly available for
the stock car, in the interests of excellent
manueverability in heavy traffic as lower
forward speeds. And this doesn't even take
into consideration the "quality" of road
surfaces.

It's sorta the difference between a Sopwith
Camel and the more dynamically stable
Snipe which followed it.

For "dogfighting" in "heavy traffic", wherein go-kart like maneuverability was
the priority over forward speed, I'd
take the less dynamically stable Camel any
day!!

(Of course, the Camel did kill
almost as many of it's pilots
in training accidents, as were killed
flying it in combat. 365 as opposed to 451
if memory serves correctly. Obviously, like
the stock BE, a pilot's (driver's) machine:).

This having been said, if most of your driving is limited access highway or
toward
the higher speed range or you just happen
to drive town roads agressively,  you'll appreciate the stability the 3/4"
front bar
brings to the application.

In my area today, "aggressive" driving on back suburban or countryish roads is
often
rewarded today (unlike "yesterday") with
a collision with a deer! :)

Cap'n Bob
basic Frog

Your messages not reaching the list?