RE: tips and advice

To: "'John Caffrey'" <jdc6@lehigh.edu>
Subject: RE: tips and advice
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:56:07 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Let's see Mini Mania sells aluminum heads, APT sells heads they prep.  Both
claim theirs are better. So it comes down to which one you believe, from my
past dealings with both my vote goes to APT. At least they have never flat
out lied to me before.
                Crash

Mini Mania's marketing claims don't really tell you much about the flow
test, and therefore it is impossible to refute. What test pressure was
used? What valve, and at what lift? Did it perform 30 % better over the
entire flow curve, or just at one data point?. I have  not flow tested
the aluminum head, but have given it a good examination and commented on
some of the findings here. There is no way it can out flow a well
prepped head out of the box using standard size 1275 valves, except
maybe at a very low lift. The port throat is too large for ID of the
seat insert and this mismatch is a huge obstruction to flow. You only
need to stick your finger in the port from the chamber side and feel the
top side of the seat insert. It looks as though everything may just
clean up when boring out the ID of the inserts for 1.40" intakes, and
the OD of the inserts is large enough for 1.40 intakes.
John