clutch cover

To: Sprite <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch cover
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:30:54 -0700 (PDT)
I pulled the engine and tranny from my newly acquired Bugeye to replace the
clutch release bearing and noisy pilot bushing.  I found the clutch cover
(pressure plate) had 6 spacers between the flywheel and cover, one for each
bolt.  They are 0.120" thick.  What purpose do they serve?  The car was raced
most of its life and has a heavy duty clutch, these spacers would reduce the
clamping force of the clutch cover on the clutch disc.  Gary 61' Bugeye