Re: Accidents was Re: Spridget wanted.. rant..

To: lewing@sport.rr.com
Subject: Re: Accidents was Re: Spridget wanted.. rant..
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:32:33 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 4/25/2005 2:56:37 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
lewing@sport.rr.com writes:

I think  that you may be missing the point..  the question :

> Do I get  a safe modern car and no motorbikes for my daughters and tell
>  them
> never to take up landscape gardening or go near trees?

is  not about any given task, but rather taking advantage of all that
science  has to offer about making any given task safer.  All of this,
IMHO,  pales when one tosses in experience.  But the only way to get
experience is to drive for many years and moreover, many miles.  The
only way to get there is to survive your first 5 or 10 years of
driving.

Lester

Lester, I think you missed Daniel's point.  I'm sure it was not  the first
time his father had been around trees.

I don't think you can make a blanket recommendation on this subject.   There
are simply too many variables.  I also don't think you can predict  the
outcome.

You can buy the safest Volvotank whatever and someone will go out and get
killed in it.  You can give a Suzuki 1000 to a 15 year old and he can ride  it
the rest of his life without incident ( I doubt it, but statistically it's
possible).

I'm having the same thoughts about my grandson, who will probably start
driving next year.  Do I give him the TR4 that's been "his" since he was
three,
or do I give him my F150 or the new Beetle because they are safer.

I started with a clapped out 57 Chevy and managed to survive some really
stupid stunts.  I also survived an MG Midget at 19, and more stupid  stunts.
But
do I want my grandson to do the same stupid things I did?  NO!  Do I have any
control over him and what he will do with any car he  drives?  Beyond
preaching, NO!

I don't think there's a definitive answer here.  Just take your best  shot,
and pray, pray, pray.

Robert B. Houston
Texan in NM

73 Midget
63  TR4

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the  species of exercises, I
advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to  the body, it gives
boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games  played with the ball,
and
others of that nature, are too violent for the body  and stamp no character on
the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant  companion of your walks."

--- Thomas Jefferson