A Call to Former West Coast O$hit Participants and those that would like

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: A Call to Former West Coast O$hit Participants and those that would like to be.
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 18:25:09 -0700
Listers in or near Southern California,
    Are there any of you West Coast O$hit members that attended my
engine swap a few months ago that might be available for a few hours
this weekend?  When we put the engine and trans in my Bugeye it was
decided to install the drive shaft later instead of threading it in with
the transmission.  This has proved to be very problematic.  I have tried
several times to install the drive shaft, but the tunnel interferes with
the u-joint right at the top, causing the female splined end of the
drive shaft to meet the transmission output splined drive at an angle.
I loosened the front motor mount bolts and jacked the front of the
engine up to decrease the angle, but all that got me was a broken left
motor mount.  The broken motor mount gave me the idea to unbolt the
front motor mounts all together and retry.  After the fan blades
contacted the fan shroud on the radiator, the radiator was unbolted to
increase travel even more.  Now the lower rad hose and the exhaust LCB
manifold header are the limiting factor.  The rear trans mount cradle
makes the rear of the transmission sit too high in the tunnel.  The only
solution I can see is to lift the engine up and out in a forward
direction just enough to slip the drive shaft on through the gear shift
access hole.  Removing the exhaust manifold and the lower radiator hose
will make this very easy. (I hope)  I can then drop the motor back in
place, bolt the front down (I have a new motor mount already), then the
rear.  Paul A. suggest to then put a small piece of a broom stick
between the yokes of the u-joint and push the car back and forth to
produce more clearance in the tunnel for the u-joint.  I know it all
sounds good on paper, but short of pulling the engine out completely
again this sounds do-able.  I will provide the refreshments of your
choice this time.  For those that did not attend last time I live in San
Bernardino.  Even if only one guy shows up I can get this done.  It
really is easier with more than one pair of hands.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite (with a Bitchn' engine but goes nowhere)
56 BN2