Re: rear suspension wrap up (Caution: verbose post)

To: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear suspension wrap up (Caution: verbose post)
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:50:10 -0700
   Makes perfect sense and I have heard that quite a bit in the restoration
world.  I think no one follows thru with it but I have heard of it.  I have
a book on restoring pre-war cars that mentions when assembling the
suspension, leave everything finger tight and count the number of
bolts/nuts that need to be tightened, write that down and after the car is
on its wheels go back and tighten everything up, keeping count with the
assembly count so you make sure you don't forget one somewhere which is
easy to do.   I actually paint my suspension parts with a white paint pen
when I tighten them, that way I know its loose if it has no paint (just a
little dot) before I drive it the first time.  Of course I don't play with
modern cars like Sprites so maybe the technology is different.

         Mike

>Main question: I didn't tighten many of the fasteners (just for example the
>bracket for the radius arm to the body, and the mounting stuff for the
>springs). I believe it makes sense that the "pivoting" hardware is tightened
>in somewhat of a normal riding position. So does this make sense: Rest car on

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/