Re: speedometer trick

To: "Jacques Le Clainche" <hobbycars@cox.net>
Subject: Re: speedometer trick
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:53:38 -0700 reply-type=original
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jacques,

A solo rider on a steep downhill will max out somewhere around 60MPH.  A
tandem with a big team can exceed 70 but not by much.  If you've even gone
that fast on a bike it really defines "pucker factor"  I've done 54 MPH on a
single and 62 on a tandem.  We were still accelerating and preparing to pass
a car when my buddy the stoker feathered the rear drum brake after deciding
I was nuts and he wanted to live.  Wind resistance and rider weight are the
critical factors.  I weigh over 200lbs and easily accelerate to a higher
terminal velocity than the usual 160-175lb distance rider. Helps if your
stoker weighs 240 also...

At those speeds you want to be an absolute fanatic about truing and
tensioning your wheels.

Glen