Re: Mirrors: door or fender?

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mirrors: door or fender?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:06:55 -0700
Dan,

Each location and type of mirror has its Pro's and Con's.

The wing type mirrors will get knocked out of adjustment regardless
of where they are located.  You can adjust them easier on the doors
but the ones I have had dealings with will not stay in adjustment
after they have been bumped a number of times.  My biggest complaint
with door mirrors, particularly on Spridgets, is the amount of head
movement needed to see the mirrors.

The Talbot / racing mirrors are not subject to getting bumped out of
alinement  But you need to like the look and put out more money.  I
have used the Talbot Jr's for years out on the fenders with convex
mirrors.  They have very good coverage and only require small eye
movements to keep track of what is going on behind me.  You can do
the same thing with the wing type mirrors with convex mirror's.

If you decide to use fender mount set in the car and have someone
move the mirror back and forth along the fender to find the location
that gives you the best view with the greatest ease.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (Trevor, in boxes)
2000 Miata Special Edition