RE: I need electronics help, providing a 9v source from a 12v...

To: "de Brebisson, Cyrille (Calculator Division)" <cyrille@hp.com>, "Flash." <thefirebuilds@gmail.com>, <miatapower@miatapower.net>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I need electronics help, providing a 9v source from a 12v...
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:46:50 -0600
Cc: spridgets-owner@autox.team.net
Be careful about the heatsink, though.  The heatsink tab on an adjustable
voltage regulator is usually NOT ground, so you don't want to let either the
heatsink or the mounting tab make electrical contact with the vehicle ground.

Yes, there are usually wiring instuctions in/on the RadioShack package.

You may want to use a fixed regualtor, rather than an adjustable, though.
- The fixed regulators generally wil pass more current.
- The most common fixed voltage regulator, the heatsink tab IS ground, so
you have one fewer issue.

An LM7809 (9 volt fixed regulator) will give you 9 volts at 1.5 amps output
forever, regardless of whether the input voltage is 12, 13.8 or 14 volts.
That and a couple of small filter caps (one on the input side, one on the
output) and you're done.

Chris K.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:52:42 -0600, de Brebisson, Cyrille (Calculator
Division) wrote