Re: West coast bound, Seattle WA

Subject: Re: West coast bound, Seattle WA
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:52:42 -0700 filter06.roc.ny.frontiernet.net
> > Ahh...it's not the rain....it's the lack of sun.

It's a combination plate.  Rain, lack of sun, and the constant dampness.
It's impossible to get warm in the winter when you are always wet. I am
serious when I say that I do not feel nearly as cold here at 0 and below
than I did in Oregon at 40 above.  Where I am now there is nearly 0
humidity, so the temperature extremes are not as noticeable.

Seattle is an interesting city.  Starbuck's Coffee is a local institution,
although I personally don't care for either the taste or the price.  The
underground city is a must see, as is the Mount St. Helens monument that is
just a few miles south. Pike Place Market is another local institution that
is well worth lots of visits.
Be prepared for LOTS of traffic, especially during football games and Boeing
shift changes. It can easily take 4 - 5 hours to drive the 50 miles to
Olympia.  Also be aware that most NW drivers are very incompetent.  They
have no concept of how to drive in snow or ice, although both do appear at
times. It is not uncommon to have someone pass you doing 70+ on black ice.
When it does snow, find a good restaurant and enjoy a long, leisurely
dinner.  The after work traffic jams are unbelievable.

Seattle housing is ridiculously high priced, especially in the better
neighborhoods.  Gary's son's house in Bremerton is a structurally sound,
3BR, 2 bath with a full daylight basement and a large yard with a covered
patio.  The neighbors are wonderful (We've met them.) and it is a low crime
area with good schools and lots of activities for kids. Ray is transferring
to White Sands, NM the end of October, and is planning to lease the house,
but might be interested in selling or even a lease option. It's a very
comfortable house with lots of room for a family,and a great view of the
Olympic Mountains.  The kitchen is one that any wife would immediately fall
in love with.  He is presently putting a new roof on the car port so it will
be nice and dry.  The house was built in the 1950s, and is in like new
condition, with hardwood floors and nice carpet.  Ray would be happy to send
you pictures if you think you might be interested. Transportation to Seattle
would either be by road via Tacoma, or by car or passenger ferry into
downtown Seattle. The public transit system is one of the best in the
country, and picks up at the ferry dock.

Kate