Still Won't Start

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Still Won't Start
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:57:54 -0700
Ok, I wired a brand new coil according to your instructions, Frank, thanks.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't start.

I'm confused by this:

"If the engine still refuses to fire check the low tension circuit
further.... [with the breaker points open] If the bulb lights, the low
tension circuit is in order..."
"If the bulb fails to light [well, there is no voltage on my voltmeter]
connect it between the ignition coil 'switch' terminal and earth.  If it
lights, it points to a damaged wire or loose connection in the cable
from the coil 'contact breaker' terminal to the terminal on the contact
breaker plate."
"If the bulb fails to light [and here it repeats the previous paragraph,
which is what I can't understand] connect it between the ignition coil
'switch' terminal and earth.  If the bulb lights it indicates a fault in
the primary winding of the coil..."
"Should the bulb fail to light at this stage..."

So can someone provide me with clearer instructions on tracking down a
"won't start" problem?

What's different: the engine has been completely disassembled and
rebuilt.  I've installed a new wiring harness.

What I know: There is no spark from a spark plug wire held close to the
spark plug itself.  There is no spark from the coil high tension lead
when I hold it next to a spark plug, either, when I spin the engine with
the key turned on..

I definitely have power to the "switch" side of the coil.  I don't seem
to have power on the other side.  Should I?

Thanks for any help.

Chas Douglass