shifter giving me the shaft (yes, LBC content)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: shifter giving me the shaft (yes, LBC content)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:25:05 -0500
Hey all
Getting my 948 Sprite ready to fire up, hopefully within a week,. Been I
estimate close to 20 years! 9 or so on my shift alone.
So, I'm oiling it up today. Coolant was a problem as I didn't know enough to
peen in the core plugs (freeze plugs as we call them up north here). So, I had
3 extras, pulled the old ones and used a little form a gasket on the edges,
installed them and peened them and all seems well there, except the lingering
thoughts on what about the one on the REAR of the block.
So, that's all done. Oiled the engine and trannsmission, and the reason for
the post, is it seems really hard to shift, although granted this is just up
on floor jacks and not running. If I back off the 3 screws that hold the
shifter in place, seems better, what I would consider normal. Will it act
better once it's running, or maybe I need to make a gasket for that plate on
top? I did buy a smoothcase shifter, pretty sure this is correct, although the
car came with I believe a rib case shifter, can't recall if it was installed
when i got the car or not. Yes, I should mention this is a smooth case. 62 948
Mk2
Dan G