Re: Stereo stuff

To: "Ron Soave" <soavero@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stereo stuff
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:25:13 -0600
I got a pair of KLH Model 6 (10 inch bass, combo mid-range/treble) speakers
in the game room - over 30 years old - still don't need re-coning. Awesome
clean bass, good treble. Inefficient, yes, but who cares with today's
amplifiers. I got 20 year old Advents with a 10 inch woofer, separate treble
and mid-range in the living room - they sound great, too. Turntable is a 30
year old Toshiba with a Shure cartridge - no problems. Stereo (non-DJ)
cartridges are harder to find, but still available. I run it thru a nice
Marantz receiver (with phono input). And I got a nice library of albums in
great condition from long ago that I still play.
Old stereo equipment is cool. I got the manual AR turntable,  Dynaco and
Heathkit amps and pre-amps that I built, and my first amp/pre-amp, a
MacIntosh tube model - the power transformer weighs a ton - in the basement.

But CDs are nice too - I can download from iTunes and burn great CDs -
someone told me that the fidelity from iTunes downloads isn't the greatest,
but neither is my hearing anymore.

Bud

Whitey - 1275 Street Bugeye
Redd - 948 Race Bugeye
SilverStreak - 1275 Race Sprite
"The Buddha... resides as comfortably in the gears of a...transmission as he
does in the petals of a flower"

- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and  the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance