Re: parts dip in Oregon

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: parts dip in Oregon
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:30:25 -0800 reply-type=original
I had the Austin A35 media blasted and then painted it myself.  I had no
trouble with media coming out of the nooks and crannies during painting.
The guys at the blaster blew it out pretty well, but they knew up front that
they would be spraying on the epoxy primer.  If you go with media blasting,
take advantage of their offer to primer it as well.  They did way better
than I could ever have done.  They got the primer into places I needed a
mirror to see.   The only place I found excess media was inside the sills.
I mated a flexible plastic hose to the vacuum cleaner and snaked it in the
bottom sill vents and sucked out the grit.  I'm driving it in the rain with
total confidence that it will last another 45 years thanks to the primer job
they did after the blasting.  Costly? Well, when you consider a TOTAL strip
of every inch of metal, trim bits included, and a thorough primering with a
top quality epoxy primer, $1000 buys you a much better job than you will do
with much more dangerous methods.  From now on, if I want to keep a resto,
it will be getting this treatment.

Glen Byrns