Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Can't Make it Here Anymore

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Can't Make it Here Anymore
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:23:05 -0800
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
On Jan 5, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Wm. Severin Thompson wrote:

> All these mass merchandisers carry nothing but crap. If you want to buy
> anything but crap, you're out of luck.

1. Internet. I make most purchases via the internet. It's actually
easier to get high quality goods now than it ever was. I haven't tried,
but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you can get a damned good broom
via the internet if you know what you're looking for.

2. Small local craftsmen, like blacksmiths and welders. Tell them
exactly what you want and how well you want it made. Be willing to pay
the price for it. Make use of their down time. Be willing to work back
and forth between a couple craftspeople to get what you want.

3. Make it yourself. Better yet, make two, and sell one on ebay to
cover the costs. You're not the only one who hates to buy crap. House
fan? Build an oak frame, put on a nice grille and a handle, order a fan
motor and blades over the internet.

4. Develop an aesthetic that says "nothing off the shelf." Translate
that into Latin and hang it over your front door.

I agree with the basic complaint, but I've found all kinds of ways to
work around this problem.

Mark